Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Vacations > Running

It's been a busy past couple of weeks.  A couple of weeks ago there was a crazy storm and we lost power for a few days.  It wouldn't have been so bad, except for the fact that we were in a middle of a heat wave and it was brutal.  Luckily, my cousin was flying back into the country after a year in Spain and my aunt and uncle had to drive by my house to pick her up.  They offered to take Maddux and me in for the weekend and we gratefully accepted their invitation to escape sweltering temperatures.

I'm ready, Mom!  Are you?

It was great to spend some time with my family and I definitely ate better than I would have had I stayed at home.  Since we lacked power I was planning to live off peanut butter, chocolate chips, and my homemade granola!  We went enough days without power that my fridge food couldn't be saved. :-(

About 50% of the time I manage to include my finger in the pic.  You know, gotta be the center of attention.  

Just FYI, the granola turned out to be really good and really simple to make, but you really do have to make sure to stir constantly so it doesn't get quite as crispy as my corners did.  By the time I got home power was restored and I was feeling pretty good about life. 

I officially completed the Runner's World Summer Running Streak on July 4 and it felt oh so good.  Truthfully, I enjoyed running the mile (almost) every day and it's kind of funny how since that's been over my running has taken a downhill slide.  My nice friend and I took Maddux to Pittsburgh for the 4th of July week to visit my parents and my sister.  I thought more about baseball and beer than running.

We had to take the non-Pittsburgher to Church.  You may not know this, but on the 8th day of the creation story, man made beer.  Not sure why they would leave that out...

In the short time we were there we got a lot done.  We went on the Mount Washington Incline to show my friend the city and then walked (through a storm...) to Fat Heads.  My family will do a lot for beer.  I'm not sure my friend will ever go back to the 'burgh with me, because I'm pretty sure he is even more convinced that I am crazy, but at least he ate and drank well while he was with me, even if I made him work for it.  By the time we were done with our beer, we walked back to watch the fireworks from one of Pittsburgh's bridges.  My sister takes better pictures than I do so I am using hers.  Also, I was scared that I would drop my phone into the water because I am clumsy and I trust her more than I trust myself. 


Thursday we got to see a Pirates win (in the best park in the world...PNC park) and then the next day my friend and I headed to Kennywood.  From the Rapids ride we spied a haunted house ride and I was super excited because Halloween is my favorite holiday ever and it was like a sneak peek into October. Even better than the fact it was a haunted house, it also let you SHOOT GHOSTS.  The buggy had a laser gun and you got to shoot at targets the whole time.  We may have gone on that ride 3 times...we're both really competitive and had to beat our scores.  Saturday, it was time to go back south, but we got a nice walk in with my parents and our pups.

Sunday, I managed to run again.  It was not pretty.  I did 8.5 miles in about 81 minutes, but man it was tough.   My IT band started being a b again so I've been upping my time with my BFF the foam roller.  Monday I was still hurting going down the stairs, so I figured I would mostly foam roll and relax.  Tuesday I was feeling a little off, but usually I end up feeling better after a run.  Not true in this case.  I will spare you the details, but it was not pretty.  I finished my 5 miles, but then passed out on the couch for the rest of the day.  Today I think will be a rest day to make sure this bug or whatever it is that's ailing me is officially gone so that tomorrow I can champion through.  Happy running! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment