Friday, September 5, 2014

Friday 5: Getting Ready for Race Day!

Friday is finally here!  I'm back linking up with Mar, Courtney, and Cynthia.  The theme for the week is pre-race rituals, BUT since I am pretty boring in that department (think anxiety dreams and restless sleep the night before, drink a crap cup of hotel coffee, eat a power bar, and GO), I'll give ya the 5 things I'm doing to get ready for the big day!  Crawlin' Crab weekend is less than a month away!

1. Adjust my training plan.  Yep, it happened again.  Remember how I told you guys I was in that major rut?  Well, running the mileage on my plan was discouraging because I just wasn't there.  Last weekend I ran for an hour and ten minutes (I ran just over 7.5 miles) and this weekend I'm planning on going for an hour and twenty minutes.  As much as I hate cutting out my intervals, I'm just going to keep bumping up my long run 10 minutes a pop until Race Day.

2. Running with other people.  Sometimes when I'm alone my mind gets into that dark place (or that bored place) and I let myself get away with way too many walk or water breaks.  Running with the group the past two weeks has been great.  The miles have really flown by quickly having someone to talk to!  Plus, I have my pride and there is no way I'm walking up a hill when everybody else is killin' it.

I have a running date with my cousin this weekend!
The best way to catch up on life!

3. FOAM ROLL.  STRETCH.  I need to be so much better about this.  I know it's the key to not getting injured, but sometimes it gets overlooked.  Side note--does anyone have any good shin pain preventers?  I've had very minor pain in my shins, but I don't want it to become a problem!

4. Use one of my 5 milers to do some intervals.  Since I'm cutting out the half mile repeats out of my plan, I want to make sure I still have a day where I am pushing myself.  It would be amazing to kick off Race Weekend with a happy 5k time.

5. Smile.  Race Day is almost here and it's going to be an incredible weekend.  I'll get to see a bunch of my best friends, drink great beer, eat yummy chowder, and of course conquer those miles.

Maddux says chowder makes him smile, too.


What races do you have coming up?  Do you ever adjust the plan or do you always stick to it?

Happy weekend!!

12 comments:

  1. Love that you are running with friends more! I still really need to find a running buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I agree, although I do appreciate my solo runs, too!

      Delete
  3. I love that pic of my nephew! I can probably think of better ways to catch up on life with our cousins than going on a run . . . but I'm glad that you two get to hang out together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well lunch and beer was a pretty good way to catch up, too ;-)

      Delete
  4. Foam rolling is something I do faithfully. But I do not stretch near as much as I should.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Maddux barks when I foam roll (he really hates it) so I've gotten lazy about it in the name of peace in my household. :-)

      Delete
  5. I wanna do Crawling Crab sooooooooo bad!!!! but it's my 20 miler weekend and I just don't trust myself to get those additional 7 miles in :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I hear ya :-( Beer and crab chowder would be calling to you.

      Delete
  6. i'm running a half this weekend so i'm super excited. crawling crab seems like such a fun race!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a great race! You should definitely do Crawlin' Crab one day! The part by the river is my favorite :-)

      Delete