Friday, July 17, 2015

5 Things About Pure Barre

Happy Friday!  I hope everyone had a great week!  I'm linking up with Mar, Courtney, and Cynthia today.  I finished my fifth Pure Barre class this week and wanted to share some things that I figured out along the way for those of you who want to try it, but are a little nervous like I was.  I will say that after my first class I wasn't sure how I felt about it.  I knew that it was a great workout, but it was a little intimidating.  It was also NOTHING like I thought it would be.  For some reason I expected classical ballet music, and it's not the case at all.  It is upbeat and fast paced.  Obviously I am no expert here (visit Courtney for a lot more about Pure Barre!), but I did learn a lot in my few classes!  

1. Get the sticky socks.  You don't necessarily have to get the Pure Barre ones, but it made a big difference when I started doing class in socks with a good grip on the bottom.  I will say that I love my Pure Barre socks because they are really thick and comfy.

Hi Maddux!!

2. Expect some feedback from the instructors.  I made sure to tell them ahead of time that I was a newbie which was helpful because they helped me get set up at first.  I have only been to one studio, but I'm assuming the format is pretty much the same where the instructor models the move and then walks around to check form.  They have made the slightest adjustment to my form that made the biggest difference in where I felt the movement.

3. It's ok to not be super flexible.  Guys, during the ab section there's a part where you lift your leg up.  A majority of the girls in my class had their leg all the way up almost touching the barre.  My leg was pretty much straight out in front of me.  At first it really bugged me, but I felt the workout a lot more when the instructor gave me advice on how to adjust to meet my inflexible needs.  Also, while I looked around a lot to make sure I looked similar to other people, most of the girls are so in the zone that they don't even notice what you're doing.  I learned to just focus on my workout and do my best instead of worrying about how my body just isn't bending like some of the other girls.

4. It's hard.  The first couple of workouts I was so sore for days after.  Eventually my body started getting a little used to the movements so it was slightly easier, but I have a feeling if it is easy the instructor will help you adjust to challenge yourself a little more.  I purchased a couple of DVDs that I think helped me a lot because it gets you more accustomed to the movements.  Also, the warm up is the same in the DVD so I felt a lot more comfortable at the beginning of class because I felt like an old pro.



5.  Find deals!  My first class was on a free "Love Your Body" event on Valentine's Day.  My last four classes were purchased through a Tax Day deal.  I got four classes for $60.  Usually single classes are $25 each.  If you're like me and aren't ready to commit to a full plan (it's a little daunting if you see the price tag!), then these deals are ideal (especially if you're new and trying to get used to it!).  My DVDs were also through a deal.  I got a tank, two DVDs, the socks, and one of the resistance bands used in class for a great price.  Follow Pure Barre on social media and sign up for the e-newsletter if you want to stay on top of offers.

While I probably won't be purchasing any packages in the near future (my closest studio is still about 25 minutes away), I really enjoyed trying out a new workout.  It's possible that most of this is mental, but I felt like I started to tone up a little bit when I added Pure Barre into my newest half marathon training plan for the first few weeks.  I encourage you to give it a try if you want a challenging workout.  Bonus points for not being super sweaty afterwards!  (And you guys know I sweat A LOT.)  **Just FYI, Pure Barre in no way paid me to say nice things about them.  I just know it's a big trend right now and I wanted to give you guys my honest opinion!

Have a great weekend!

Have you ever tried Pure Barre?  What did you think?  Any advice for newbies?    

8 comments:

  1. The warm up is really tough! Those planks get me all the time :) You are right, the best thing to do when starting PB is to not discouraged, don't compare yourself to others, and think about your own body/moves. Now I'll have to get you to come to CPY with me! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will totally go! Let's pick a weekend! We have to keep reppin' our J&A so we can be ambassadors again next year :-)

      Delete
  2. I have heard so many great things about the Barre class but there is no studios near where I live. Hope to experience a class some day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there will be one soon! I feel like studios are constantly opening.

      Delete
  3. yay! you know I love this post. I will also say that I have been buying toe socks with grips and they are awesome. My feet tend to slip during plank and this helps a lot. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't have the first gym that offers this in my lil town, I've heard so much about it I'm glad your having fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever get a chance I highly recommend it! A fun, different way to get a workout in :-)

      Delete