Friday, January 10, 2014

Motivational Mantras

Today Mar, Cynthia, and Courtney decided to mix it up a little on the Friday Five and do a theme: Motivational Mantras.  I know at least Mar and Courtney are currently training for marathons and they are probably looking for some good ones, so make sure to give all their fabulous blogs some love!

To be honest, I'm not much of a mantra girl, BUT I will give you five things that get me out the door and keep me moving once I'm out.

1. "You'll only regret the run you don't do."  True story.  While I have had some crappy runs, I definitely have not regretted any of them.  I'm always glad I went. There have been some that I missed that I kicked myself for later.  Having my training plan on the refrigerator (I visit that area often...) has helped with this because I don't want to see any runs that aren't checked off!

Definitely did not regret this run...

2. "You only have to make it to that (light post, mail box, street sign, etc).  Oh, you thought I meant that mailbox?  I meant that one up ahead...."  My dad used to say this to me ALL the time when we were running.  It annoyed me to no end back in the day, but now I find myself using it quite often when I'm ready to stop.

3. "You just have to make it to x mile and then you get a piece of candy/snack!"  Long runs are my favorite because I get my Clif Shot bloks during them ;-)  



4. "If you run x amount of miles outside then you can buy a new running shirt!"  I love workout clothes and would wear them all the time if socially and professionally acceptable.  New running clothes are even better.

5. RACE DAY.  Guys, I need a win in my book so bad.  (Obviously not a first place win, but a GOOD race.)  It's been so long and I've been working really hard this time around.  Whenever I think about running lately I just get excited about the possibility of that PR waiting to be taken.

Other things that help me on my outdoor runs are just trying to enjoy the scenery, working through problems, thinking about family and friends, and just zoning out completely (if you aren't thinking then it can't hurt, right?)

Hard not to pay attention to the scenery here!

What helps you get through your runs, walks, and workouts?




10 comments:

  1. I like how you included walks in your question since you know I don't do the other two! ;)

    Having a definite goal in mind and seeing our progress helps push me through our walks! When I look at my Garmin and see that we've gone 1.9 and we only need 2.73, it's a lot easier to just add on another street or two instead of turning to get home. (Except today when my quads were burning from trudging through the snow and I saw that we'd make an even 2 by the time we got home if we turned around then--but that was also after adding on two extra streets so that we'd make it over 1.5)

    The reward system is great--I tell my students to use that when they're writing papers: "If I write x pages, I can watch tv/eat ice cream/play videogames/check Facebook." It works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I've got you ;-) I agree with you on the Garmin! Even when I hit my time if I'm like .15 away from getting an even amount of miles (OCD...) I keep going for that extra minute. And I love the reward system.

      Delete
  2. Oooh #2 is another thing I've used before - thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great post!! #2 is probably the only reason I even stuck to running. My first ever 4 miler was because I challenged myself to getting to "that bridge" ... many, many years later :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder what our first run selves would have thought had we told them where we'd be years later haha. I doubt I would have believed it.

      Delete
  4. Ooo, I like the rewards you mention! Either snacks or clothing would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For my first long run in a long, long time I bribed myself with a new shirt and it really worked!

      Delete
  5. On my long run Saturday, running till I could eat a shotblok helped keep me going!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah ah I love them! What's your favorite flavor? I've only tried the strawberry and cherry ones!

      Delete