To be honest, I'm not much of a mantra girl, BUT I will give you five things that get me out the door and keep me moving once I'm out.
1. "You'll only regret the run you don't do." True story. While I have had some crappy runs, I definitely have not regretted any of them. I'm always glad I went. There have been some that I missed that I kicked myself for later. Having my training plan on the refrigerator (I visit that area often...) has helped with this because I don't want to see any runs that aren't checked off!
|Definitely did not regret this run...|
2. "You only have to make it to that (light post, mail box, street sign, etc). Oh, you thought I meant that mailbox? I meant that one up ahead...." My dad used to say this to me ALL the time when we were running. It annoyed me to no end back in the day, but now I find myself using it quite often when I'm ready to stop.
3. "You just have to make it to x mile and then you get a piece of candy/snack!" Long runs are my favorite because I get my Clif Shot bloks during them ;-)
4. "If you run x amount of miles outside then you can buy a new running shirt!" I love workout clothes and would wear them all the time if socially and professionally acceptable. New running clothes are even better.
5. RACE DAY. Guys, I need a win in my book so bad. (Obviously not a first place win, but a GOOD race.) It's been so long and I've been working really hard this time around. Whenever I think about running lately I just get excited about the possibility of that PR waiting to be taken.
Other things that help me on my outdoor runs are just trying to enjoy the scenery, working through problems, thinking about family and friends, and just zoning out completely (if you aren't thinking then it can't hurt, right?)
|Hard not to pay attention to the scenery here!|
What helps you get through your runs, walks, and workouts?