If you follow me on Twitter and Instagram, you already know that Maddux and I celebrated our THREE year anniversary yesterday! In honor of my sweet boy, you guys get to read five things I really love about Maddux!
|Our First Picture (Year 1 got lost somewhere in the crazy amount of pictures I have taken over the years)|
1. Maddux loves to explore and learn. I've gone to so many parks I probably never would have (or even known about) without him and have enjoyed every minute of it! Seeing how excited he gets to be out on the trails never fails to put a smile on my face. I get lots of laughs when we go to class. Maddux loves to please his trainers (they have the best treats after all) and acts ridiculous when it's his turn to practice.
2. He is a super snuggler. One of the great things about adopting an older dog (Maddux was 4 when I got him) is that (depending on the breed) they are out of that crazy puppy stage. He definitely has his spurts of energy, but he is happy to nap next to me while I read or get work done. He's snoozing as I type this. Maddux is the first dog I've had where I am the only one responsible for his care. He has been perfect for me and relatively easy to figure out.
3. He has forced me to improve my sewing skills. When Maddux plays he likes to destroy toys. I'd be lying if I said he didn't have enough toys for a whole shelter worth of dogs to play with, but I've saved a ton of money by learning to fix them myself (and if we're being completely honest, bringing them to my mom and aunt to fix!). I've sewn more than I ever thought I would since he's come into my life.
4. I have a great place to volunteer! I adopted Maddux from Lucky Dog Animal Rescue and am so glad I did! They are a great organization and make it super easy to help out dogs in need. They don't actually have a shelter (they rely on fosters and boarding facilities) so the adoption events take place all over the DC area. Many of the events are really convenient, so you don't have to go far out of your way to make it and seriously? What better way to spend the afternoon than hanging out with a great dog? Maddux doesn't know this yet, but we're getting another foster tomorrow! Possibly just an overnight, but I'm really excited! Now that I get the behind the scenes emails with foster updates I appreciate Lucky Dog even more. They work so incredibly hard to find the best homes for as many pups as possible.
|Fingers crossed the next foster is as great as the first!|
5. Maddux made DC feel like home. I've gotten to know the area so much better because of our exploring and I love coming home and seeing his happy face. I don't know what I'd do without my boy!