Thursday, January 10, 2013

What Curious George Taught me About Running

So sometimes I text my nice friend when I don't want to do something, but know that I really should.  For example, today I looked out my window (yes, I know that's creepy) and saw all the treadmills were full, but the ellipticals were open.  I knew if I didn't go ahead and go I probably wouldn't ever make it out the door, but I really, really didn't want to elliptical.  So I texted.  And I got my answer.  I went to the gym.

I ended up ellipticalling (spell check says that isn't a word, but what else would you say?) for about 15 minutes while I waited for a 'mill to open up.  I didn't try too hard, but I got nice and warmed up for my 4.25 mile run.  Overall, it was a great run (my Guide 6s finally got their first awesome run!), but the best part was that the kids who were waiting for their mom to finish her workout were watching Curious George.  The episode was called something like Curious George the Personal Trainer and I learned some valuable lessons from it.

Source

Anyone can run.  The episode started off with something about "Look!  The doctor who said she can't run is running!"  I'm not sure why she had to run, but she was upset and it seemed like something bad would happen if she didn't run the race. At first the only subtitle for the longest time was "panting."  That made me laugh, but I mean how true.  I still suck wind every time I run.

Wear the right clothes.  The first time the doctor ran she ran in her lab coat.  She didn't like her run.

Make running fun.  The doctor said that she found running boring.  George was upset because he couldn't understand why anyone wouldn't want to run.  Then he thought about all the reasons he loved running and shared them with the doctor.  She had a lot of fun running around an amusement park.  At one point they got balloons and kinda floated.  That was cool.

Don't give up.  Like she wouldn't finish her race.  It's a kids' show.  That would be a bad example.  At first I was appalled because the doctor pealed off right before the finish line.  She looked like she was going to die.  I mean she literally could have fallen over and gotten to the finish line, she was that close.   Then, she grabbed George and said she wanted to finish the race with her trainer.  She didn't care about her time, she just wanted to finish and have fun.

Kids should really accompany their parents to the gym more often if they are well behaved like these kids and watch inspirational shows.  There was also a corgi at some point (not sure how it was related) and I squealed a little.  Sorry fellow gym goers.

Happy Thursday!  It's almost the weekend!!

3 comments:

  1. Was this a special dvd for the gym? Or was it just coincidence that you were needing motivation to run and this episode happened to be playing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha coincidence! The PBS masters must have known I needed a push ;-)

      Delete