Friday, December 20, 2013

No Dreadmills Here!

It's Friiiiiiday!  That means it's time to link up with some amazing bloggers for the Friday Five!  Make sure you check out the blogs of the fabulous Mar, Courtney, and Cynthia!

Because I am a pansy super safe and stay away from things like running in the dark by myself, I have had to spend lots of quality time with the 'mill since the days have started getting shorter.  To be honest, it doesn't really bother me.  I know there are a lot of people who DESPISE the treadmills, but here are a few things that get me through my workouts:


1. Listening to Wait, Wait! Don't Tell Me! Guys, this seriously makes my treadmill time fly by.  As embarrassing as it is laughing out loud and getting the funny looks from fellow gym goers, it really does make for an entertaining workout.  If NPR doesn't cut it for you, Runner's World recently posted an article about some other great podcasts (I'm going to have to check these out as well!).



2. Filling my playlist with music I love.  I don't listen to music often on my outside runs for safety reasons, so running with music is kind of exciting for me.  I think a lot of people would laugh at my workout songs, but they are the ones that I never get tired of listening to.   They may not all be "pump you up" songs, but they get me excited about my workouts.  Some of my favorites on it are:
  • Uncharted - Sara Bareilles
  • Feel So Close - Calvin Harris
  • So Good - B.o.B.
  • The Mixed Tape  - Jack's Mannequin
  • Play it Again - Luke Bryan
  • (Kissed You) Good Night - Gloriana
  • Switch - Will Smith (hehe)
  • My Life - Billy Joel
  • I Would Be Sad - Avett Brothers
You'll notice Reba did not make it on there.  She's been banned from my playlists after way too many impromptu concerts happened....oops.  

Definitely in the top 10 greatest moments of my life.

3. Playing with the Speed/Incline.  I hardly ever run at one speed when I'm on the 'mill.  I use my indoor workouts to push a little harder than I might outside.  Some of my favorites are the "Run at a 'Normal' Pace for 3 minutes, Push for 2 minutes" and the "Change Your Speed for Every New Song."  It keeps me from getting bored and makes sure I get an extra good workout in.  I think this has also helped me improve my speed outside!  I haven't done much with the inclines lately.  The treadmills at my little fitness center aren't the best and if you mess with the inclines too much they start acting a little weird.  On a happy note though, there are FINALLY notices on the two (of the three ugh) broken 'mills saying that they will be fixed in the next week or so YAY!  It has been a bit of a pain sharing one treadmill with the entire complex.

4. Being able to wear shorts and a t shirt.  Sometimes I really just hate getting all bundled up.  I'm not a girl who loves the cold and I appreciate that the gym lets me not worry about 17 layers for a quick run.  I also like that my water is in the cup holder ready when I'm ready.

5. I usually don't pay much attention to the TVs at the gym, but I know a lot of people do.  Some of my fellow gym goers bring their ipads in and set them up to catch up on shows.  I kinda prefer just listening to my music, but every once in while I get caught up in a show (i.e. that time Curious George was running a race...and let's be real, Judge Judy can be pretty funny sometimes).  

Any other great tips to beat treadmill boredom?  I know nothing beats a gorgeous run outside but sometimes we have to work with what we've got.  Happy running!

5 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks for the reminder on NPR! I used to listen to podcasts of NPR shows at the gym but haven't in ages - I will remember that now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Sometimes it's nice to mix it up a little :-)

      Delete
  2. I highly recommend the New Yorker Fiction podcast if you need a change! You hear good stories and learn things, too! It's the only thing that got me through the last 2 hours of my drive home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thanks! I was wondering what another good one would be since I only get WWDTM once a week!

      Delete
    2. It's like an English class in 12-30 minutes! They have a writer choose a story that was published in the NYer sometime in the past and the writer talks about what they liked about the story, why they like the author, then they read the story, and then talk about the story a little more. So you just pick one that fits the amount of time you have to run :) Some stories are a little weird, but a lot of them are really interesting. And since they're stories, you don't have to worry about them being out of date if you want to download older episodes.

      Delete