Friday, December 21, 2012

Sharing is Caring: The Finale

The time has come for my final recipe.  As nice as this Friday tradition has been, it really can't continue because we have officially run out of go to recipes after tonight.  Perhaps in 2013 I will be more adventurous and learn some more, but for now let's work with what we've got.

This recipe originated from the one and only Paula Deen, who has long been one of my idols.  The recipe I started with is found here.  As you can see, Paula is an amazing southern cook who has lots of people willing to come over and eat with her.  I have no need for a soup with two pounds of hamburger, so I adjusted it to fit my single don't wanna get as wide as a house girl needs.

Crock Pot Taco Soup*

Get It:
  • 1 lb hamburger (I use variations of fat...the 93:7 ratio works out fine, I usually just go with what my grocery store has on stock/what's cheapest)
  • 1 can kidney beans (drained)
  • 1 can corn (drained)
  • 2 cans diced tomatos with chilis 
  • 1 packet taco seasoning
  • 1 packet ranch mix
  • 1/2 can water (eyeball to see how much moisture you need--you don't want your soup to dry out!)
Make It:
Brown the hamburger and drain the grease.  Put hamburger and the rest of the ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low for 6 hours.  That's it.  

*My nice friend says it's taco chili because it's a heartier soup, but whatever.  Paula calls it soup so I call it soup, too.

This soup is one of my favorite meals.  I sometimes top it with cheese or tortilla chips depending on my mood.  I also used it for filling to make stuffed peppers once and it turned out to be really tasty.  

I get that the picture does not look all that appealing.  I promise it's delish.
I hope everyone has a safe and happy holiday!  Maddux tried to convince me to wrap him up and send him out to you, but I love him too much to share.


Happy Friday!!! :-)



1 comment:

  1. I"m glad you had the caption under the soup picture--that was my first thought when I saw it! And maybe if it is taco chili, I will try it...

    ReplyDelete